Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6, 2011

During our hours of drive time last week, I read a couple books I enjoyed:
Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo, Learning & Just Beyond the Clouds by Karen Kingsbury.
Nothing like a good book (or three)to pass the time--when I wasn't looking out the window at the beautiful scenery!
I also continued with our read aloud to the kids: The Penderwicks.

In between the reading, I had time to do a lot of thinking.
I felt horrible canceling our annual Fourth of July Barbecue.
I love celebrating the fourth in our community.
There is always so much noise and joy and a good, old town feel.

However, this year being alone with my family. . . 
my husband and four kids made me desire more of that.
I craved not losing that feeling of togetherness.
I craved not being caught up in party preparations.
I craved not disappointing others with my decision to stay.




Because when it was all said and done,
as important as traditions are, when it comes right down to it--
traditions will be what we (my collective family) make them.
I can live with that.

If we hadn't stayed I would have missed out on a great opportunity of fellowship with other families we met at the beach.
I would have missed out on the beautiful fireworks display Pismo Beach puts on.
I would have missed out on a variety of foods we all brought to the table.
I would have missed out on what was best for my family for this year.

Now I better get back to the laundry and a PTA Summer planning meeting.
Duty calls.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear what you have to say: ) May blessings abound always!!