Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February 28, 2011

I just finished this book:  Radical by David Platt.  Wow!  In the final chapter, one quote that stood out to me, perhaps because of my blog's name is, "In our quest for the extraordinary, we often overlook the importance of the ordinary, and I'm proposing that a radical lifestyle actually begins with an extraordinary commitment to ordinary practices that have marked Christians who have affected the world throughout history.  How will it transform your life, radicalize you, to let your mind and spirit be saturated by the word of God day after day?. . .read the entire bible in a year."

This is my second attempt at reading the bible in a year.  Growing up, although I attended Catholic School, we never read the bible cover to cover.  We weren't required to memorize verses either, which disappoints me today.  I find myself trying to memorize right alongside my children, which works, but I wish I had more extensive knowledge of the bible instead of googling verses about (fill in the blank).

I've spent too much time time looking for this or that from my church community--which ironically, the author points out--
". . .if  'God loves me" is the message of Christianity, then who is the object of Christianity? Me.  God loves me.  Christianity's object is me. Therefore when I look for a church, I look for the music that best fits me and the programs that best cater to me and my family. . .I will choose according to what is best for me."  This is not biblical Christianity.

"The message of biblical Christianity is 'God loves me so that I might make him--his ways, his salvation, his glory, and his greatness known among all nations.'" Yes!!!

There is a list of five steps we can take to live the Radical Experiment.
1.  Pray for the entire world.
2.  Read through the entire word.
3.  Sacrifice your money for a specific purpose.
4.  Spend your time in another context.
5.  Commit your life to a multiplying community.

Each step is explained in depth and there is also a website with  resources. I dug into this book and read parts aloud to Ernie. I like that I walk away with specific things to ponder.  I like that it encouraged me with the path I am currently on in terms of a bible reading plan and praying for others.  I appreciate Platt's view of what is going on in the world, those suffering in poverty, and those who do not have the opportunity to know our Lord.

There is something I can do. Right now. And so can you.  Pray.  This Lenten season, let us all offer up prayers for the world.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Sounds like a great book! I might have to find a copy. I completely agree that our religion needs to point to him and away from me. I learn more and more what that means as I grow closer to Jesus.

    Found you through Women Living Well. Thanks for posting! (You have a beautiful family, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear what you have to say: ) May blessings abound always!!