Sunday, February 26, 2012

February 26, 2012

Weekend Recap
We had a fun filled weekend with beautiful weather to boost!  Friday night after our weekly park play, one of Lene's friends since kindergarten came to spend the night.  Sleepovers aren't common practice but I offered to babysit and knew the two would enjoy the time together--and they did!  My favorite part was watching them from my doorway as they sang aloud to some Kid Bopz tunes.  They were hilarious, loud, dancing and totally into it. . .it reminded me of many a sing along, lip syncs with my neighbors and cousins growing up.  Classic kid fun thing to do!
The early hours of the day were spent waiting to hear the results of Ernie's final step test.  Happy to report he passed with flying colors--which means he is only six months away from becoming a journey man.  This four year program has been intense, demanding, and dangerous.  I'm so proud of his determination and accomplishments.  Later, while eating he said it makes him feel proud to know that he can provide for the family and offer me the opportunity not to work.  He appreciates the effort and energy I put into our family and home life.  The fact that he feels this way makes me appreciate all his effort all the more.  It would be very easy to keep going, making what we are making and buy bigger, spend more, splurge on unnecessary stuff and live the "big life."  But he's content (as am I) with the life we've created, the home we've built, the simple life we lead.  We choose for this to be enough. . .
We've also made a choice this Lenten season to turn off the television which is affording us plenty of time for extra-curricular activities like a Saturday afternoon bike ride.  It was time to take my bike out on the road for the first time. The kids were so excited that I was coming with them, and I did fine once I figured out the whole gear thing (on the way home)!   As the kids raced ahead of me I kept thinking to myself, "Enjoy this."  And I really tried to appreciate the airplanes landing at the airport, the porsches racing at the Speedway, the lake view, and the old man feeding the ducks.  I also enjoyed a break!
I watched my children run and play together on the shore.  I listened to their screams of delight as they raced chasing the ducks into the water.  I sat back and took it all in--the beautiful surrounding, these gifts God has given me in my children's quirky personalities, and this man who takes such an active role in the raising of his children. What a beautiful way to spend an afternoon--together!
Another cool thing I did this weekend was attend a rather large Treasure Swap at a new friend's house.  Everyone brought whatever they were done with and she designated different room in her house to lay out all the goods.  There was SO much to choose from and it was FREE!!! Bubs kept saying this was the best sale he had ever been to since everything was free. It really was so cool to walk away with new pieces of clothing that didn't cost a cent.  The yellow jacket I wore on the bike ride was one of my new pieces. . .
As are all three shirts I'm wearing here:  New tank, underneath a new top, with a Roxy button down cordoroy jacket.  I came home with at least twelve pieces for myself alone!!  A great weekend with the family again--so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear what you have to say: ) May blessings abound always!!