Sunday, March 13, 2011

March 13, 2011

Since we didn't do a whole lot this weekend with a working husband and a sick baby, I had some time to peruse some old favorites.  I had flipped through Honey For a Child's Heart to remind myself of some of the books I had enjoyed when I was younger.  I remember the obvious: Beverly Cleary, Laura Ingall's Wilder, Nancy Drew series, Babysitter's Club, and Judy Blume. . .but I remember I loved to read. . .emphasize the love. I wanted to get a jump start on some of the types of books I can encourage my oldest to read this summer.  She is an avid reader as well. . .and I'd love for her to enjoy some of the same books I've read so we can discuss them.  I haven't read the entire Junie B.  Jones series, like she has and I just think it would be fun to do something together...and honestly, lately, the length of her books is much more appealing than some of mine.

Since beginning to read Karen Kingsbury two years ago, I find it a little difficult to read what I used to like:  Janet Evanovich, Jodi Piccoult...I don't know why--I just can't seem to get "into" the plots or they are missing something...maybe God undertones?  Sounds strange, I know, but I prefer to read things that inspire me now.  Stories that tell the story of people who seem more like me.  People who may have moments of struggle with their faith, but ultimately, they may be shaken but never uprooted. It's just where I am at this point in life and I'm totally okay with that.  Besides, most of the moms I know don't have a gazillion hours to read anyways, so it's not like we meet at the park talking about bestsellers. And the friends I do talk books with, don't look at me all crazy with the books found on my nightstand:
I pick and choose. I usually read the library books first since I have to return them.
My daily reads.
The kid's basket full of library books & books on tape.


Book Basket Continued
So Dad doesn't feel left out. . .
Last But Not Least. . .

So, as you can see, we have plenty of reading and listening material in this household.  This is what we need in order to limit our television times and still be happy about it.  I can't wait to find out what books they love and what I remember from my youth!!  Any suggestions--books or authors that you love?  I'll have some time on my hands this summer--Can not wait!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up about Cinderella Ate My Daughter - I plan to look into it! And thanks for stopping by my blog...have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear what you have to say: ) May blessings abound always!!