Monday, February 20, 2012

February 20, 2012

Yesterday was one of those days where I found myself in a familiar place, surrounded by familiar people, with a very unfamiliar feeling.  I was standing at church as it was a packed mass, with my little brother and his fiance receiving a blessing at the altar--as she is his sponsor as he journeys to get confirmed this May.  My husband and kids were there, as was my dad--my mom wasn't because she had a commitment to  a wedding shower.

Two years ago, my little family of five (sometimes six) was on this faith journey looking for a place of community, a place to worship, a church family to call home.  We attended a church  that a friend invited us to and we enjoyed the marriage and family class a lot; however, I was always missing the ritual of the Catholic Church.  So, many Sundays we attended both--we would be at church for up to four hours on any given Sunday-and now we have come full circle and are back at the church I grew up in--a place I called home for at least twelve of my earlier years. It just feels right.

As I watched my little brother up on the altar--I realized he is making the choice to confirm his faith as an adult.  What a great example he is to his God-daughter and niece and nephews! Another realization is that my parents have been attending mass regularly for nearly a year.  They came back one Saturday afternoon to see their oldest granddaughter receive communion for the first time.  They have been coming faithfully since.  My mom even attends mass some Wednesday mornings with the baby--and it was evident yesterday.  Our sweet two-year-old, although far from perfect, made it through the entire mass.  That is a first!  It gets better:  My sister-in-law is receiving her sacraments in the Catholic church this year too.  After several years of marriage, she decided she wanted to claim the Catholic faith as her own, to raise her boys up in the faith that they entered into at baptism. . .I think it's just been a year full of God. I am blessed! We all are, really!

What a year it has been:  to have come full circle in my faith, where I practice, what I am trying to instill in my children, my husband who is actively pursuing God on his own without my prodding.  Full circle.  Thank you, Jesus.  Thank you Fr. Rich for being the pastor who make all of us feel as if you are speaking to us directly in each of your sermons. There is a reason we have come home to our parish.

All that said, today is a special day.  It's my little brother's birthday and I love him so much I just wanted to share.  We spent many years of his school life either driving together, or he put up with me invading his public school spaces as a teacher in his world.  There was even a season where I was his teacher in the ninth grade, as I was the only one who taught the Honors class.  He survived--only one detention for gum chewing! What might have been more awkward, although I'm not sure for whom, me or him--was before I was married and brace yourself--was actually considered, "hot!"  I'm laughing as I type that because he would shake his head and get embarrassed for me in those days.

 Sweet, sweet little brother.  So many memories: the flat tire over the train track you told me Dad always drove around, vomit on the side of the freeway, hitting the side of that truck and taking off my mirror on the way to work, tears in my classroom when Malcolm died. . .and then you grew up. You made myself, dad, and your brother-in-law proud as we all watched you  from a distance working at your high school campus.  You were the one who carried the burden of mom's sickness hardest as you still lived at home.  I admire the way you take care of things there, much like I used to a long, long time ago.  Your heart is amazing.  You are loved immensely. . . my world would not be the same if you hadn't entered it twenty-four years ago.

And I am sure the husband and dad you will be on the next leg of your journey will continue to shine for Jesus.  That is who you are--thy type of man I pray my kids will be: a light to this world.  Love you lots little brother.

May Blessings Abound Always,
Your Big Sister

May your Goddaughter always hold a special place in your heart. "Love you Nano."

2 comments:

  1. You made me cry AGAIN! This is such a sweet post. I just put a letter in the mail to my younger brother at bootcamp and came back to read this. Such good timing and I can feel your love for your brother through your post. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I missed seeing you guys at church Sunday but I had been there attending the 8:00 mass by myself and drove back to attend the beginning of the 10:00 mass sitting next to your dad and waited until the new confirmees walked in and were introduced to the parishioners as they stood on the altar. Since Alan and B were facing our side of the church I was standing on tiptoe and waved at them as they looked our way...Dad told me; don't do that, we're in church....but I'm sure God didn't mind. I left then & headed to the shower (which I discovered when arriving that it didn't start until 1:00, it was a typo error on the email sent out)All that rushing around for nothing :( go figure.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear what you have to say: ) May blessings abound always!!