Thursday, July 21, 2011

July 21, 2011

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. . .
As fun as a drive in movie can be,
you actually don't even have to leave your home to get that experience.
In fact, a movie in your own backyard is the ideal setting to make it whatever you want it to be!
Christy, over at One Fun Mom has a really cool Fun Summer Challenge that I stumbled across and she asked me if I'd be willing to do a more detailed post, so here goes.


A couple years ago, this fun summer tradition began.
Two neighborhood families and my own gathered together to watch a movie outdoors.  
We rotated houses, and had a potluck.  
Whoever hosted the evening got to pick the movie that was played.
The projector was actually a borrowed one from my classroom in the beginning.

Fast forward to this year where we found a projector on clearance at Target for less than fifty dollars.
Yes, less than fifty!!!!
With back to back birthdays for my husband and daughter we decided to get together with just our immediate family and try the new gear out.
My husband was in charge of the audio and video hook up.
No problems there.  He did it in the dark.
Nothing extravagant needed: projector, DVD player and receiver.
Voila!
The adults usually prefer chairs, but the kids are just fine with a blanket spread out on the grass.


Notice the screen is simply a plastic drop cloth from Home Depot.
It is secured on the fence with some bigger versions of a clothespin.
You can be as extravagant or not as you would like.
It's your yard--shine it on a wall if you have one--whatever works for you!!!

I passed out individual bags of kettle corn, licorice, capri suns, and no evening event is complete without a little glow-stick action.
For their viewing pleasure: Mars Needs Moms.
Mission Complete!
P.S.  Might I mention, the clean up is a breeze!

2 comments:

  1. That's it, I'm comin' over for the next one. I'll bring the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea. We have neighbors that we are good friends with, and they would love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear what you have to say: ) May blessings abound always!!